Interview: Sam Hunter on his new record and co-writing with Mike Reid

Andrew Roy · June 25 2017 · 04:00PM

I recently interviewed singer songwriter Sam Hunter from Nashville who has just released his new album, Lyrics Available Upon Request. Hunter also co-wrote the song “A Woman’s Love” with notable songwriter Mike Reid, which appears on Willie Nelson’s new album, God’s Problem Child. His own music is similarly country-styled, yet he has a wide focus with an interest in other related genres, including rockabilly and rock and roll. His record is available now via SoundCloud.


Lyrics Available Upon Request is a varied album. It presents a good range of instruments from piano and various forms of percussion to electric guitar. The result of this mix is some well composed music with many subtle layers. In the slow ballad “Almost”, a gentle acoustic guitar beautifully complements a piano. In addition to the structure, Sam Hunter demonstrates the vocal range he is capable of in “Never Meant To Fall In Love”.

Overall, this is a very soothing album. However, there is a good balance between the ballads and the more upbeat songs such as “Talking To Strangers” and “Best Good Friend”. For me, “Rain” is the highlight of the album; it is well paced and the sound effects of rain in the background at the beginning and during a brief pause only adds to its tranquil feel.


Tell me a little bit about yourself, how long have you been playing and what inspired you to get into music in the first place?
I’m 24 yrs old and I was born in Nashville, TN. I’m a session player, singer, songwriter and producer. I’ve been playing 20 years. I started when I was 4. I heard the Beatles when I was 9 and knew that’s what I wanted to do.

Who were some of your biggest influences starting out and who inspires you now?
The Beatles, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard… any of the early rock and rollers and rhythm and blues guys. I also have always loved big band music. Right now, I’m really inspired by Stephen Sondheim, Bacharach and David, Harry Nilsson, Paul Simon and guys like that. I also really love the Brill Building songs.

You’ve just released a new album, Lyrics Available Upon Request, what are some of the themes on the record and is there anything specific that you wanted to focus on when making the album?
Some of the themes include wanting something you’re not supposed to (“Taboo”), the conflict of loving one person and being in love with another (“Never Meant To Fall In Love”), taking love for granted but realizing it too late (“Stupid Me Lucky You”). I just wanted to tell a good story as simply as I could and wrap it in a production that I love.

Which of the songs on your new album are you most proud of and why?
“Sister Angelic”, because it’s a complex story that tells itself in a few simple words. “Never Meant To Fall In Love” because for better or worse, it turned out exactly the way I wanted it to.

What’s the process you usually follow when writing a song?
For me, it usually starts with an idea, and if I feel like there’s a story there, I’ll run it past my co-writer (which in this case was my dad) and if it clicks with both of us, I grab an instrument and we start chipping away.

You recently co-wrote the song “A Woman’s Love” with Mike Reid, which appears on Willie Nelson’s new album, God’s Problem Child. What was that like? It must’ve been pretty exciting to have Willie Nelson sing your song, how did you feel about that?
Co-writing with Mike was wonderful. Working with him taught me a lot. Thanks Mike!
It was a little surreal. Willie is one of my heroes and to have the guy that wrote songs like “Crazy”, “Night Life”, and “Funny How Time Slips Away” pick my song to record is unbelievable. I feel absolute gratitude. Thanks Willie!

You’re also a session player, are there any other artists you have recently collaborated with?
I just finished up some guitar work on the Ronnie Milsap duets album. It features Willie Nelson, Leon Russell, Kacey Musgraves, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and George Strait.

Whats next for you, do you have any live shows lined up or any other plans?
I’ve got a couple shows coming up I’m really excited about. I’ll be singing some songs with Mandy Barnett at the 3rd & Lindsley on July 20th. If you haven’t seen her show, you owe it to yourself to check it out. She’s a terrific singer with an incredible band that features Harold Bradley, Gene Crissman, and Andy Reiss. Then on July 25th I’ll be performing at the 3rd & Lindsley with my band The Saturns. We’ll be doing a live stream from our facebook for those who can’t be there. Here’s where you can check that out.

Lastly, what tips would you give to an aspiring artist?
I would say don’t focus so much on being famous, focus on doing the best work you possibly can. Expand your musical vocabulary by listening to all kinds of music.

Music taste quick-fire questions

What genres/artists are you currently into?
I’ve been on a Brazilian kick lately. The Zimbo Trio’s first album.

Do you remember the first record you ever bought?
The first album I bought with my own money was the vinyl edition of Sky Blue Sky by Wilco.

If you had to choose, what would be your all-time favourite album?
Please Please Me, The Beatles.

Have you been to any gigs recently?
I attended 8 off 8th at The Mercy Lounge.

Finally, what new releases are you currently looking forward to?
I’m actually digging into the new Andrew Combs record.

Our thanks to Sam for his time! You can follow him on Instagram at @samhuntermusic. Lyrics Available Upon Request is available to listen to now via SoundCloud!

Comments

  1. Sam Hunter is one of the finest young musicians Nashville has. I consider him a local treasure whose star has slowly been on the rise since he was a teenager. When I first saw him perform with the Saturns (his duo with another fantastic young musician, Austin Valentine), I was blown away. Keep an eye on Sam, he's an enormous talent with exciting, unlimited potential! PS) And he's a super friendly, kind person to boot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment