Interview: 10 Questions with... Mr. Marbles

Kayleigh Hinsley · June 25 2017 · 03:00PM

Mr. Marbles is a collage artist and illustrator with a distinctive style, combining vintage and modern imagery to create bright, detailed works. His collages often feature elements from areas such as music, politics and popular culture. His anonymous persona, he says, allows him more freedom to create. Indeed, his work can often be considered controversial; it is clearly intended to be thought provoking. I interviewed him for the second installment of our 10 Questions with... interview series with emerging artists, give it a read below!

Art should educate, entertain and motivate, and, where possible, do all three at once.

How would you describe the art that you make?
Incredible.

‘Incredible’ is a pretty bold statement, would you say that you’re very confident in, and proud of, the work you produce?
I’m racked with insecurities about my work as every artist is. Very rarely do I make something and actually feel proud of it. It’s a bit of a bind if truth be told. My bravado hides the fact that really I’m full of self doubt I suppose. I am a genius, though.

You’ve created an anonymous identity for yourself as an artist, is there any particular reason why?
Tax reasons, primarily. Clearly that’s a joke, before anyone reports me. I enjoy being anonymous. It gives me more freedom to do what I want to do. Plus, some of my work can be controversial and I don’t fancy being assassinated.


What inspires you to make art?
It’s all I can do. I tried to do the ‘normal’ thing and get a proper job and it was hideous. Going in the same place every day and dealing with the same fools and sycophants, and being talked to like a mug by some manager who hasn’t got a clue. There’s so much more to life than that.
Day to day inspiration can be anything that makes me tick. Music, popular culture, politics; anything that resonates with me. It’s hard to explain, but if something grabs me I need to do it otherwise I’m a restless soul and hard to be around.

What’s your process for creating a collage? How do you select images and other elements?
Depends on the piece really. If I have a clear idea of what the series or piece is about, I’ll seek out any material that may be relevant and I can use. I find having a massive stock pile of ld books, magazines and ephemera is essential here. Sometimes I will buy a load of magazines or whatever, and stick them away until I can raid them. Other times, I’ll be flicking through a book or magazine in a charity shop and see a picture that I know I need to use. That’s all it takes sometimes to spark an idea in my noggin.

Would you say that your work is personal?
Definitely. What I make has to sit right with me, otherwise what’s the point? You get into trouble when you start making art for the masses. That’s when you lose your soul and your creative life essentially dies.


Some of your recent work has been political, how important is it for you to voice these opinions through your art?
I’d hate to be seen as just a political artist. Saying that, I’d hate to be pigeon holed as anything. It sort of defeats the object of what I do. But if my recent work is politically charged, it’s because we are living through an extremely politically tumultuous time. Whatever I’m doing though I feel it’s imperative that I’m expressing something through my art. Art is a flawless medium to get your message across, which is why it annoys me when I see lots of generic hipster art everywhere. That’s not to say all art needs to be educational, but it should fit into three brackets, if you like; art should educate, entertain and motivate, and, where possible, do all three at once.

What are you working on at the moment?
I’m doing a massive series of collages exploring what motivates my favourite writers. It’s something I'm really enjoying and I’ve been working on them for the best part of six months now, on and off. Never before have I committed to one series for such a period of time and still been genuinely excited to get into it. I usually get fed up and end up destroying what I have done in a fit of artistic madness/drunken idiocy. Aside from that, I’m trying to get a show organised in Liverpool with fellow artist Thomas James Butler. Trying to get a venue in town is ridiculous, and I’m close to telling the city to do one. I’m also launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to get a Bowie collage I made last year screen printed.


Do you have an absolute favourite artist?
I’ve a soft spot for anything Soviet Era orientated, and have a number of Czech and Polish posters from back in the day. They’re stunning. I also am consistently in awe of the students involved in the Atelier Popular movement. They fought the system through their art, and have left an incredible legacy. Both these examples show that the greatest artists are nearly always anonymous. I also love Michael Gillette and admire how he doesn’t fit into any particular bracket. He does whatever he wants and it’s always stunning. I try and emulate that as well; although I work a lot in collage, I mix it up if the work needs it. Similarly, some of my work is minimalist whereas some is more Pop and Da Da inspired.

Finally, what advice would you give to other people on being creative and expressing themselves?
Your biggest enemy is society. Reject its criticisms, its advice and its authority. Don’t follow a conventional way of life as you will be miserable. For some people success is measured by how much they have to pay on their mortgage, and when they will draw their pension. Could you imagine a more depressing way to live your life? Accept you are a different, more beautiful box of cheese. Create all you can and if anyone tells you to get a proper job ignore them with every fibre of your body. Their advice is born out of jealousy. In this horrendous day and age, those who achieve success are those who live by their own rules.

You can follow Mr. Marbles on Instagram at @mrmarblesart, and check out his website here! Look out for a link to his Kickstarter campaign for the David Bowie screen print, which we’ll post once it’s set up!

Comments