Interview: Matt Vianello of The Grooveliner

Kayleigh Hinsley · March 18 2017

The Grooveliner are a six piece band based in St. Louis, Missouri. Their music combines elements of jazz and funk as well as other musical styles, creating a new, fresh sound. The band released their new studio album, Toby’s Basement, in January. I interviewed Matt Vianello, The Grooveliner’s guitarist, about the album and his musical influences.


Tell me a little bit about yourselves, how long have you been playing together and whose idea was it to form a band?
The Grooveliner is a six-person band that was basically formed by taking parts of two other bands and combining them together. Dave Muser (Trumpet), Ben Moore (Sax), and I (guitar) had all playing together in a large funk/soul band that was kind of reaching its end. So in January 2015, we decided to form a new band. At the time, we really had no idea what type of band we wanted it to be, which I think was part of the excitement for us. We did know, however, that we would probably need a drummer and bass player. This may be a St. Louis thing, but it is really difficult finding musicians who are willing to commit the time to a new, unestablished original band. Fortunately, Dave had just played a show with a band called North of the Quarter. Dave approached their drummer, Toby Mechem, and asked him if he wanted to start a band with a bunch of people he didn’t know. We went to a bar and got some drinks and we had some chemistry. At the time, one of our goals was to play in a band with people we really like and who we knew we could count on. Toby immediately fit that bill for us. He then recommended that two of his band mates, John Short (Bass) and John Covelli (Keys/Trombone) join us. The Johns both came in committed and ready to play music, and we knew we had the makings of a fun band, at least from a respect and personality standpoint. Music was a little different. Our first few practices were all over the place. They were basically a mixture of getting to know each other, learning each other’s styles, and trying to figure out what type of music we wanted to play. It took us over four months to play our first show.

Who were some of your biggest influences starting out and who inspires you now?
I can only speak for myself, but Jimi Hendrix was a huge inspiration when I started playing, and still is. I got my first guitar on June 6, 1998 and I’ve been learning Hendrix songs ever since. Along the way, though, I’ve realized that I really like music that blows my mind. Basically, I like listening to bands an musicians that are freaks of nature. Some that come to mind are Pat Martino. This guy had a stroke, forgot how to play the guitar, and then taught himself how to play based on old recordings of himself. I can’t play a lick of what he’s doing, but he learned how to do it twice. Another guy is Charlie Hunter. This dude plays bass and guitar at the same time. I have no idea how, but he does it. Snarky Puppy also fits into this mold. There is so much going on in their songs that it is really hard to figure out what’s going on. I like that because it’s mentally stimulating. I also take it back when I said I could only speak for myself. Toby is inspired by Miley Cyrus and Hanson.

How would you describe your band’s musical style?
I would describe our style as weird. Our songs are all over the place, which is something I really like. And I constantly think that each new song we write is cooler than our last song. But as for a specific style, there are elements of funk, rock, fusion, latin, and jazz. Those styles all kind of mix together, and out comes whatever it is we play.

Your new album, Toby’s Basement, was released earlier this year; can you share some of the themes on the album? What inspired the new tracks?
Toby’s Basement, which is where we rehearse, was a lot of fun to write and record. The album doesn’t necessarily have any themes or a story to tell, but it does tell the story of the sum of its parts. What I mean by that is that the band members all have different influences, styles, and approaches to writing music. But no one voice is louder than any others, and that comes out in our songs. Each song was a truly collaborative effort, and in each song, you can hear each band member’s influence. This is because each of us has more pride in the finished product than our own individual contribution. We have never fought over parts or suggestions, and everyone is receptive to each other’s ideas. I have been in bands where that is not true, and I can say that it is truly amazing being part of such an open-minded collaborative process. I’m not sure if anyone who listens to our album will hear what I just described, but if they do, that would be awesome.

Other than music, what else are you passionate about at the moment?
I’m a lawyer by day, and most days, it feels like that’s all I have time for, so music (and long distance running) are the things that keep me sane. So my answer isn’t so much about activities I’m passionate about as it is about activities that keep me from losing my mind.

What’s next for the band?
We have a bunch of shows booked in the St. Louis area. If you have ideas for venues in the U.K. that will pay for airfare, I’m sure we would gladly add some European shows. We are also in the process of writing songs for a new album. We currently have five songs in the works and we’re headed back to the studio in May to lay down some tracks. It’ll probably be a while before they are released, but I think people who like Toby’s Basement will enjoy them.

Music taste quick-fire questions

What bands/artists are you currently into?
I have been listening to a lot of Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, and Them Crooked Vultures lately.

What’s your favourite song right now?
That is too tough of a question to answer.

Do you remember the first record you ever bought?
It may have been Weezer, Blue Album.

If you had to choose, what would be your all-time favourite album?
Gun to my head, maybe Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I can listen to that album on repeat without ever skipping a song.

Finally, do you keep up to date with new releases? What was your favourite album of 2016?
Hmm... This is tough. I’m usually pretty far behind on new releases. And I’m wracking my brain trying to think of an answer, but I really don’t have one. Pass.

Our thanks to Matt for his time! Follow The Grooveliner on Facebook and check out their album, Toby’s Basement, which is available on Bandcamp, Spotify and iTunes now!

Comments